Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Catch up time...

Yes, I'd say it was about time for another post, seeing Im so quick to point out to others when I feel they need an update also;) So, here it is...
*
Recently, I had a few consecutive days off & filled my time with some of these wonderful activities. Mind you, last year... it was attempted on 3 different occasions to go skiing and due to wind storms/ ice storms or lack of snow period.. skiing was out of the question! So, this year...skiing became one of the first activities attempted, in hopes of going. YES, first try... the trip was made and down the slopes we went. I'll be the first one to admit, I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to this sport. In 4th grade we took lessons through school for a period of time, and then I hadn't gone until after high school. Since then, I've been shown the basics-learning how to stop, fish taling down a slope(whatever the actual terminology is, Im not sure) shifting weight, etc. Needless to say, I spent a great deal of time on the bunny hill before building enough courage to take a chairlift to the next level. What makes it even harder for me is the unknown. When you've never been to this mountain before... you wonder, what are the trails exactly like? What am I up against? Where are the drops? How sharp are the curves? Etc. Anyways, it was the perfect day weatherwise for an event as such. Can't say I always stayed on my feet. During ONE of the several times down, I felt like I was on my bottom/or my stomach more than my skis.. I landed in briar like weeds, leaving me feeling helpless for the moment. Another time, I must have flipped off the trail sliding down the bank, before catching myself. Anyways... I walked away without any broken bones, so all went well. They say, in order to get good at something, sometimes you have to fall to learn. That is, unless you call yourself perfect... but we wont go there.
Afterwards... it was dinner time=)
Of all the years Ive lived here in the Albany area... I had never been to the Capital Holiday lights in the park. Sure, Ive driven by... and thought it would have been something different to try, but never had. This year, I was determined to go... in a horse drawn carriage throughout the park. What beautiful sights... of lights.

*


The next day, winter truly hit here in NY... with 10-15inches of snow. Winter wonderland was seen all around us. Needless to say, that didnt stop one from going Christmas shopping for a bit=)


That evening.... Melodies of Christmas was at Proctor's. It was truly an exciting moment for me.
Festive colors seen all around with people dressed up, Christmas carols sung, etc. What a wonderful production. Being in the medical field, I felt honored to attend. All money raised through buying tickets was going to help Children with blood disorders/cancer at Albany Medical Children's Hospital. After working there for 2 years, it was a joy to know I was in some sort of way helping others through AMC.

*
BIBLE STUDY CHRISTMAS PARTY
When: 12/23/08

Everyone contributed food to share together. There was pizza, chips/dip/salsa, pizza bread, cheesecake, and drinks.

*

*

After dinner, we spent some time in God's word and then started wrapping presents.
If you recall in a previous post, I mentioned that our group has a mission to help others in need.
We originally were going to take on a whole family, but those plans fell through. So, this year.... we decided to take in one of my patients I had from work. Without going into great detail of this pt's situation... his once love for high speed motorcycle racing.. has turned into dashed hopes of ever riding again. A paraplegic he has become.. and its been a VERY difficult road these past several months. While he was my patient, we had some very in depth conversations of God. Tears would roll down his cheeks, as he questioned God.. We as a group have carried a burden for him.. and this is why we, as a group have tried reaching out to him this Christmas season.


We bought bath towels, a hand towel, $25.00 Cheesecake Factory GC, $15 FYE GC, bed sheets, and a Microsoft Arc mouse. The towels and bedsheets were some ideas he had mentioned he could use when he gets out of the hospital.
*
Last but not least, we presented Dan ( our Bible Study leader) a Christmas gift from us all. We bought this for his desk at school. ITs a combination of a digital clock/ calendar on lower left hand side, a picture, which we will insert of our group for uptop, the plaque that was engraved "C.D.C.F. 2008" which is our group name. The flip side, as seen below is a huge calculaor, which we thought would be a nice add on, seeing he is a math teacher.

*


All in All, we had a nice time...
Christmas is just around the corner now.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE.

1 comment:

wolfwatcher said...

Very nice! Im glad you had a good time skiing! I have to say though, have you been on the board, perhaps you would have been up more than down :-P. j/k, no broken bones is definitely a good thing, for that Im glad. Im sorry you have to work today and tomorrow. I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas anyways!!! The good news is Jesus was still born all those years ago :-). Have a good one Aimee! Praying for ya.