Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hope IS The Reason For The Season

***There is NO finish line until we find a cure!!!!!***
Yesterday, September 20th, 2008 was the 2nd of 3 "Relay For Life's" in Lake Placid, NY I've attended since Aunt Ruth and Mary Jane Fuller had been diagnosed with cancer. These are 2 VERY special people, who have had a great impact on my life. Unfortunately, this past late spring, MaryJane lost her battle to cancer, but ultimately won the spiritual war as she crossed over to meet her Savior.
**
Cancer is such a heart wrenching disease when you look around you to see so many suffering/hurting individuals fighting. The fighting MUST continue to go on... and that is what this Relay was all about!!!!! Over the course of this day, more than $55,000 dollars was raised to help in the continuation of cancer research. The goal had been exceeded, which was such exciting news.
***
The day turned out to be absolutley gorgorous. It was pretty warm compared to last year, as I froze. I came a bit more prepared this year in attire. Very greatful in the end... as it once again cooled off a great deal.
***
Here are just a few of the many pictures that were taken for this special occassion....

***
This saying was attached to the group's table under their tent!
VERY TRUE!

****
***

Cousin Jon, feeling a bit engulfed with some Survivor balloons. Notice the different numbers on each of the balloons. Each survivor was handed one of these, which signified how many years they had been cancer free.


Look real close... you'll see Leah and I near the top. Now, below is a close up!!

***
Uncle Ralph & Aunt Ruth... so proud and happy for her!!!!
She definitely deserved such a special day... and I pray many more of these days over many years to come!

****

Mike Fuller, who recently lost his dear wife to cancer.

This was his first time attending an event as such, but seemed to enjoy it thoroughly. He never failed to add some picking and teasing amongst the group, which helped keep everyone lively. It was so nice to have you attend such an event that had such meaning for EVERYONE there!

Now, the flower arrangement that he's holding, I believe came from Jon & Leah after the first "Survivor" walk. That was so thoughtful of you guys!

Mom & Auntie


These tents were set up all around the oval to stop and eat, buy, pick up free items, etc.

And.. this is some of the scenery noticed as we walked. Of course the pic doesn't do justice!
Here's everything lit up after dark.... all around the oval were the lumineria bags filled with sand and a candle lit. Such a pretty sight!
***
***
Then, Sunday evening as Mom & I were heading towards home, we decided to stop and visit "Gana's" grave site. If Im not mistake, this would have made only my 2nd time visiting since her passing in 2002! A bit ashamed, to say the least! I do miss her dearly. Her phone calls that sometimes seemed a bit overbearing (3-5 times a day- and just as you were walking out the door), but you know.. I'd take back EVERY last time I thought this... because now, my days pass by without getting any phone calls from her. She always loved to talk to her children & grandchildren.. and she always made a special attempt to let each of us know how much she loved and cared for us. Lots of her time was spent with family because she didnt like to be left alone - Rides to town, out to dinner, family visits for weeks on end, etc. She was my very special Gana.. and forever will be held close in thought.
***
Cherish every moment with loved ones... for you never know when it will be your last moment with them. Guard your tongue in conversation, laugh often, and never forget to let them know how much you appreciate them, whether its in words, actions or deeds!
***
Gana, I Miss & Love You lots... Can't wait to talk with you again =)

..RIP..


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Aimee, you've said it all!! It was truely a weekend of so many emotions; hardy laughs, yet many tears too! I came to celebrate and support my special sister and Buv-vie, Ruth with her win against this horrible disease of Cancer that has struck so many of my friends and family! Michael, I'm so glad you were able to join this walk with us....as we all honored the memory of your precious wife and our special friend, MJ. I know it was a difficult day for you. We all miss her so much, she will forever hold that special place in my heart! It was so nice to have you spend the weekend with us. We love you and are daily praying for your strength! Aimee, thank you for everything this weekend and for letting me quietly cry in the car on the way home on Sunday. I love you! Mom

R. Catton said...

Aimee, you did a beautiful write up with really nice pictures. They turned out so good. Thank you for all the things you wrote and your feelings that came through so clearly. This was a very special day and Thank You for helping to make it so special! After reading this the first time, I was in tears and it took me two days to be able to open it again. I will not write here what I feel inside but I will write you. You are very special and thank you for ALL you have done for me.
Love you muchly, Auntie