Monday, August 4, 2008

Act of Kindness

I love to buy gifts/send cards just because I'm thinking of someone! It might be their birthday, maybe they've been sick, going through a difficult time, etc. Whatever the case may be, I like doing so. I feel good about it knowing/hoping its bringing a bright spot in their day.
My family has always been big on gift giving, so it's in my blood I guess;) I truly enjoy it.
***
My most recent purchase was actually this online purchase, the basket of fruit and flowers, for one of the special nurses I've grown to love working with. It's hard to come by thorough people like JoAnn. It's been very obvious with some people that they try to get by with doing as little as possible and can really care less about their job or the patients they are taking care of. I've been just glad to of been teamed up with staff that truly take things to heart.
***
Presently, JoAnn is out of work after having back surgery and wont be back for several weeks.
When people who normally help bring the unit together have to go out on leave, you can tell a BIG difference! She's been out for almost 2 weeks now, and I've missed her, so the thought crossed my mind while at work Sunday night to order flowers or something and have them delivered to her doorstep. You might say that's being lazy, but I dont feel that way. It takes time to find a florist in their area, look for something pretty, and order it. In the end, it truly is the thought that counts.
***
Think about it... People carry all sorts of baggage with them day in and day out. So many people are capable of hiding emotions, hurts, sadness etc. so much that you wouldn't ever know they were struggling. I've been there before! I guess if I'm honest, there have been times that I just have yearned for a card to come in the mail, a thinking of you... whatever... to brighten my day. I'm sure we've all been there... these small words/actions of kindness make a WORLD of difference, so this is why I do what I do.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Good for you and I certainly don't think anyone would look at that and think, "Man, she's a lazy gift giver." You are exactly right about something like that making someone's day bright. I think far too often we are so busy and have so many problems of our own, we forget how good it feels to do something kind. I'm sure your co-worker will GREATLY appreciate it!

Lynette said...

I love how you take it upon yourself to do this kind of stuff for others because I have been the recipient and it has been so appreciated.Aaron will often remind me that a good cure for being just downright blue is to do something special for someone else.

Leah & Jon said...

Amen to all!! I personally think that it's sometimes even more exciting to have something delivered to your door rather it's a card from accross town or flowers or a package, whatever!