Monday, August 4, 2008

Entertainment at Dinner

-
Time has slipped me by, so Im just posting friday's post now.
I had some much needed shopping that I planned on getting done friday evening seeing I didnt have to work. I am in desperate need for some new brown sandel-like shoes and some Nike or New balance sneakers. Mom loves going shopping, and seeing I dont get to spend much time with her in the evenings due to working, I thought it would be nice for a mother/daughter outing. We headed to Crossgates to hit some of our favorite stores.
I was in Famous Footwear and found a couple options that really spoke to me. Mom suggested that I shouldnt jump on the first ones that I came across, which is a smart thought, so I put them back... making a mental note just in case I had no success later.
***
In the meantime, my stomach started talking and I realized I hadn't eaten dinner yet. Mom had eaten a little bit while still at home, but I thought she would work up an appetite as we shopped and I would take her out for dinner! =)We came to Friendly's.. which as I've said, is one of my favorites to eat at, next to Ponderosa, Golden Coralle, or Country Buffet. It didnt take much convincing to walk in and get a table.
*****
Different ones in my family like to sit where they can watch most people. Personally, I dont care where I sit, so mom sat facing into the mall, while I sat facing the inside of Friendly's.
It didnt take very long for a certain table to stand out behind me. A black family, a mother and 2 daughters and a boyfriend of one of the daughters, as it appeared were waiting for their meal. Mind you, I have nothing against black people, but this family was different. The mother seemed to have the mentality of a 10 year old and want to fit in as if she were hanging out with a group of friends that age, so I sat there and watched.
***
Their tee hees and abnoxious loud behavior had drawn much attention, when all of a sudden there was a cammotion of giggles, loud talking... and a drentched daughter who had spilt her drink all over. The manager came out, looking frazzled at the group, while the wattress came to clean up. The family picked up their things and plopped down at a table further in & now within my view. With some more giggles, body language of people shy a few fries in a happy meal... I sat and watched alittle more closely. Their meal finally came... and they started eating, sloppy eating at that... Mom and I sat there still waiting for our meal. By this point we had waited about 30 min and had talked about just slipping out... and going elsewhere.
****
At this time, another older couple came in, the husband in a wheelchair with a helmet on his head. He appeared to of had permanent brain damage. They ordered some coffee to start with, while they waited. This couple was located right next to ours and directly ahead of the one I was keeping my eye on. All of a sudden, the laughter started again... and I could tell some making fun was going on. Out came "GANGSTER!!!"as loud as can be from this guy in the wheel chair. The wife stood up, took her last sips of coffee and walked out pushing her husband. He says, " They're immitating me!!!"
****
Next, it's time for their dessert. The wattress takes the order, and the mom pipes up saying, "I'm celebrating my birthday late." I looked at mom and said.. "she's going to try pulling a birthday special on the watress, and I bet it isnt even her birthday!" Afterwards, the wattress brings their receipt to the table and leaves, while another worker walked by. The mother says, "HEY YOU, yes you.. COME here... as she waves uncontrollably. "Today's my birthday! Can I have my sundae for free?! The young man said, sorry you have to register your birthdy online to be able to get that special. At first, I thought the guy was making it up because he knew what type of people they were. He was doing a good job with his sheech, but then I thought about it.. and concluded that there probably was some truth to it. Either way, she didnt get her free birthday sundae!
****
At this time, we were just getting our dinner after waiting 50 min as they were about done. The table was a complete mess and all. They get up, still annoyingly loud, as the mother goes bouncing down the isle with her kids ahead of her. They paid, and left shortly after. The waitress walked over to the table they had been sitting at & I knew exactly was she was checking on. Her tip..as she had bent over backwards to give them the same service as everyone else, actually a little more because they liked to act needy... and at that moment, she turned around looking for a co-worker saying, " a $75.00 bill and they left NO tip, NOTHING!"
****
I really felt bad for that waitress. In all, I was very bothered by the whole situation. They create a huge mess at the first table they were at, are abnoxious throughout everyone's dinner, ruin another couple's time for dinner, so much that they walked out, tried to sponge off a free birthday sundae, when Im sure it wasnt even her beirthday, and then leave NO tip and a very messy table to clean!!!! What's this world coming to?! Why do poeple think this is ok?
****
So, by now its close to closing time. We finished with dinner & our dessert, then left the young lady a nice tip! One that serves you well, deserves a good tip!We walked out since it was 10pm, and then I realized.. I never got any shoes because all my free time was taken up in Friendly's.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Sorry, I couldn't help but chuckle about you not getting the shoes in the end but I understand exactly what you mean. It's about all I can handle to keep my mouth shut when I hear people acting like that! The thing about making fun of the guy is really upsetting. It's seeing things like that that make me glad I we were raised more reserved and polite. Kevin can't understand this but I almost always overtip a waitress if it is at a cheaper place. I feel badly when I see an older person (or anyone) that I know is getting $3 or $4 in tips per table and they are on their feet all night!

Leah & Jon said...

Yes, Jon and I offten tip very well when we're able. We are so blessed with more than a lot of the people we know or see in passing! We try to pass on the blessing when we can!